• If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Work with all your cloud files (Drive, Dropbox, and Slack and Gmail attachments) and documents (Google Docs, Sheets, and Notion) in one place. Try Dokkio (from the makers of PBworks) for free. Now available on the web, Mac, Windows, and as a Chrome extension!


AUL Wiki

Page history last edited by Kimberly Sweetman 1 year, 6 months ago

BLC Community of Interest for Associate University Librarians (AUL's) and Associate Deans (AD's)

2019/2020 Co-Chairs:  Evan Simpson and Kim Sweetman

The Spring meeting was held virtually due to the Coronavirus pandemic.  

April 13, 2020

BLC COI Structure:

                Amira explained that there are similarities between the HRM group and the AUL group:

  1. long term responsibility for initiatives
  2. designated representation as opposed to open representation
  3. members have some decision making authority
  4. ability to assign task forces (although the AUL primarily assigns TFs within itself)

it was brought up that this issue was discussed a few years ago and the membership voted to remain a COI so that we could have the meetings we want to have.

Further investigation needed, including:

We would need to identify a membership recommendation if we were to become a committee, as there may be issues with members having a differing number of AULs (some have none).

Would becoming a committee allow us to do things we can’t do now?


Action:  more investigation by Amira, Evan and Nathan.


Networking Day/BC 50th: Discussion around postponing the event, and the membership is generally supportive of that.

                Action:  Regina, Scott, Kim and Evan will work on a poster about the AUL COI, with production assistance from Mei.


Input on AUL COI broadening to include public services—the group provided some input on this. Discussed the lack of a reference and/or instruction COI but figured it was due to the strong NELIG presence in this arena. It may be that the request comes from the challenge with COIs being very structurally based as opposed to topically based. A future COI review may be helpful.


Input on EDI proposal—We discussed the proposal, expressing support. We suggested perhaps a few trial meetings to discuss potential topics of such a COI might provide the proposers with ideas to strengthen the proposal.


Potential Ithaka Project—a small group has been working on a potential project on user behavior around discovery. We’d like to gage interest in pursuing this further at a future meeting.


Other topics:  We will also schedule future discussions on Project Information Literacy and post COVID 19 planning.



October 31, 2019 Fall Meeting:

Various projects came out of our discussion:

  • Debbie Berlanstein is leading the BLC Leads application process.  Evan Simpson and Kim Sweetman are currently assisting but other volunteers are welcome.
  • Jill Livingston is leading some investigatory work around cooperation in turning Libguides into true learning objects as a possible funded project. Evan Simpson and Erica Schattle are participating.
  • Amira Aaron is leading an investigation/feasibility study on controlled digital lending among BLC as a possible funded project. Mark Paris, Alicia Morris and Nathan Mealey are participating.
  • Regina Raboin and Kimberly Kawal will collaborate on a potential funded project around starting an open access journal, possibly starting with the proceedings from Networking Day.
  • Laura Hibbler will lead a project to investigate contracting with an extern information literacy resident researcher. Evan Simpson and Mei Mendez will assist in this effort.
  • Kim Sweetman is leading a project to propose more clarity and structure to the COIs. Amira Aaron and Mei Mendez are collaborating.
  • Nathan Mealey is considering a proposal for a Digital Scholarship COI.
  • Evan Simpson is leading an effort to clarify our goals around sharing expertise, with assistance from Mark Paris and a few board members.
  • Evan Simpson is leading an effort around researching the ROI of BLC membership with assistance from Kim Sweetman and Mary Moser.

2018/19 Co-Chairs: LeRoy LaFleur and Evan Simpson

THE AUL/AD CIO met twice during the 2018/2019 academic year, once in the fall and once during the spring semester.  The fall meeting was held at Northeastern University and the spring meeting was held at UMASS-Boston


Fall meeting Agenda (Northeastern, Snell Library) November 27, 2019 from 10-2:

  • BLC Technology survey (Susan Stearns)

  • Critical Pathways to Open Access: discussion about what BLC libraries are doing in this space, how libraries are/are thinking about utilizing the CP2OA toolkit, and any reflections on attendance at the October CP2OA conference at UC Berkeley.  (Sally Krash)

  • Changing Liaison models: a number of BLC libraries and beyond have embarked on changes to their liaison programs. A lot of work has gone into thinking about what roles liaisons play, how those roles are changing, and how libraries align with organizational/institutional directions. This discussion will inform future networking and professional development/learning opportunities in the BLC.

  • BLC Professional Development programming ideas + DJA Equity Toolkit training

  • BLC Leads update (Susan Stearns)

  • Strategic Directions for BLC –discussion/review of comments thus far (https://eastlibraries.org/blc-three-year-strategic-directions-2019-2021)

  • ALMA/Primo fulfillment network update  (Susan Stearns)

  • General library updates from attending members (All attendees)





Spring Meeting (UMASS-Boston, Healey Library) April 30, 2019 from 10-2:


  • BLC Leads 2020: call for volunteers to review applications, finalize and promote the program

    • It would be great if those of you who have worked with previous cohorts could share your experiences

  • *BLC Strategic Directions:

    • We last discussed these at our Fall meeting during the official review period, and the BLC Board of Directors was to discuss them at their March Board meeting.  We hope to have an update on the status of the Strategic Directions and whether there are related initiatives the AUL/AD COI would recommend to the BLC.

  • Offsite storage:

    • A couple of Board members have recently led discussions around consortial offsite storage and this topic was also on the agenda for the  March Board meeting. We would like any feedback/guidance can the AUL/AD COI can provide to inform decision-making.

  • Supporting/connecting with COIs:

    • Discussion on ways the AUL/AD COI might engage more with at least the most active COI's.  Beyond Susan, what could a mechanism be to surface ideas/initiatives/projects that might be worthy of a Board level discussion or could benefit from feedback from more senior library leaders?  

  • BLC Liaison Librarian webinar idea discussion

    • Feedback on content and structure for a BLC workshop (webinar) on liaison librarian program management and practice. Some of the ideas we discussed were convening a small group (e.g. 3) of speakers from BLC libraries to discuss topics like : Liaison program structure and models (how and why decisions were made); Key challenges; Strategies for assessing  liaison activities)

  • AUL/AD COI Co-Chair for 2019/2020

    • Under the current COI chair rotation structure, Lee rotates off as co-chair next year, and Evan will continue. We need a volunteer to co-chair with Evan next year.


  • BLC on-site borrowing initiative update:

    • Continuation of this discussion from the Fall meeting on the BLC ALMA libraries inter-borrowing plan; other issues in this space

  • Governance models for shared library technology platforms:

    • working models; successes and failures in creating inclusive structures

  • Programming at your library:

    • who decides what open workshops (i.e. non course-based) to develop, and other issues/challenges in organizing open workshop programs

  • Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity:

    • Update on discussion about DeEtta Jones & Associates Equity Toolkit and what EDI related initiatives BLC libraries spearheading internally or involved in campus-wide

  • University of California Libraries vs Elsevier: Preparing your faculty for the open access/scholarly communication discussion

    • Given the recent international and local discussions on the UofC case, perhaps this group can discuss the groundwork being laid on their campuses on and around these topics




Strategic Directions:  The AUL/AD COI discussed assisting the Board with publicizing the call for proposals in support of the BLC strategic directions. Possibly convening open brainstorming sessions at different locations throughout the year, to help facilitate consortium-wide idea generation leading to proposals to the Board.


BLC Leads:  Evan Simpson (Northeastern) and Debbie Berlanstein (Tufts) agreed to serve as point-people from the COI for next year’s BLC Leads initiative.


BLC Liaison PD/Webinars:  

Liaison Librarian Theme:  The COI discussed the creation of a professional development series centered around liaison program management and practice, designing around individual topics such as Liaison program structures and models (how and why decisions were made); key challenges; strategies for the assessment of  liaison activities, challenges/time management, program sustainability/expectations, recruitment and hiring practice, change management component


Would need to determine whether the audience for these programs are liaison managers, liaison librarians, library administration, or all of the above.


EDI/Collections Theme:  The COI discussed programming around collection development/building more inclusive collections--tools, best practices, for acquiring materials representing diverse perspectives










The next meeting of the BLC AUL/AD COI will be held on Tuesday November 27th from 10-2 at Northeastern University's Snell Library.


Meeting Room: Room 90 or in Room 322






Parking at Northeastern:

Northeastern guests have two garage options: the Gainsborough Garage and the Renaissance Park Garage. Either will work but I strongly recommend the Renaissance Park Garage which is located at 795 Columbus Avenue in Boston. See the Northeastern parking/directions page for more info.


Public Transportation:


Orange Line and Providence/Stoughton commuter rail riders go to the Ruggles station. Use exit door marked Northeastern. Turn right on the walkway that runs between the NU Veterans Memorial and the Egan Research Center. Keep straight on this walkway; Snell Library is the building straight ahead.



Green Line riders take the "E" or "Arborway" trolley to the Northeastern University stop. Cross to the south side of Huntington Avenue (the opposite side from Au Bon Pain and the Marino Center), turn left, and walk along Huntington Avenue past the Cabot Physical Education Center, then turn right to enter the Northeastern campus.  Walk 50 yards or so until you reach an open plaza. The Snell Library building is in front of you across the plaza.


Bus riders take the #39 bus to the stop at Huntington and Forsyth Way, in front of Au Bon Pain and the Marino Center. Follow the same walking directions as for Green Line riders.



Walking Directions to the library:

The library is a short walk from either garage. If you are parking at the Renaissance Park Garage, you’ll cross through the Ruggles Station over the train tracks, and head right/east onto campus (you’ll head right at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial).




Agenda for Tuesday’s meeting


  1. BLC Technology survey  (Susan Stearns)
  2. Critical Pathways to Open Access: discussion about what BLC libraries are doing in this space, how libraries are/are thinking about utilizing the CP2OA toolkit, and any reflections on attendance at the October CP2OA conference at UC Berkeley.  (Sally Krash)
  3. Changing Liaison models: a number of BLC libraries and beyond have embarked on changes to their liaison programs. A lot of work has gone into thinking about what roles liaisons play, how those roles are changing, and how libraries align with organizational/institutional directions. This discussion will inform future networking and professional development/learning opportunities in the BLC.
  4. BLC Professional Development programming ideas + DJA Equity Toolkit training
  5. BLC Leads update (Susan Stearns)


  1. Strategic Directions for BLC –discussion/review of comments thus far (https://eastlibraries.org/blc-three-year-strategic-directions-2019-2021)
  2. ALMA/Primo fulfillment network update  (Susan Stearns)
  3. General library updates from attending members (All attendees)



Information for connecting virtually:


BLC AUL COI Meeting 
Tue, Nov 27, 2018 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM EST 

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone. 

You can also dial in using your phone. 
United States: +1 (786) 535-3211 

Access Code: 928-915-877 

First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check: 













BLC AUL Meeting, Northeastern, 12-18-15


Topic:  Streaming Video


Attending:   Amira Aaron (NEU), Dorothy Meaney (Tufts), Pat Flanagan (notes, Brandeis), Margaret Manion (UMass Lowell), Regina Raboin  (UMass Medical), Patrick  Carr (UConn),  Kimberly Baugh (BC),   Julie Goldman (UMass Med),  Scott Britton (BC), Debra Mandel (NEU), Susan Stearns (BLC), Holly Phillips (UConn), Matthew Sheehy (Brandeis), Lee LaFleur (Tufts Ginn), Leslie Button (UMass Amherst). 


Guest: Abhishek Hegde, NJEDge.net (NJVID)


Welcome: Debra greeted everyone and talked about the meeting topic and survey, noting not everyone responded but six institutions did.  There may be some ways we can work together on best practices, copyright issues, or other things.  Our guest from NJVID works with various video streaming and video assets, including open access, mostly in NJ at this point. 



Handout:  synopsis of survey responses


-Topics of interest:  staffing, should it be internal or external to the library?  Holly:  the survey shows little in terms of patterns among the six responding institutions.   UConn’s conclusion is then that they have to just use the best system for their needs, as there is no real best or common practice to follow.  They have been implementing some changes recommended by an internal team, too.  The survey questions reflect some of the struggles they have had in terms of decision-making.  Debra is interested in captioning capabilities.  Regina would like to know more about use of video with distance education and MOOCs, and possibly other classes.


Debra:  Looks at media as information and sees it at the forefront of information resources.  As NU develops digital repository, we are curating student creations.  Some have moved video out to the IT realm, but at NEU they are hybrid (some video streamed via College of Professional Studies, equipment circulation to ITS) and she votes to keep media content within the library due to its informational value.  Faculty rely a lot on media, so it’s pretty significant in any institution to have the support somewhere. 


Lee:  Does a lot of DVDs as well as streaming, and students have YouTube and other resources, so how to get any given resource is part of their conversation with users.


Debra:  iTunes and YouTube aren’t as reliable for screenings, so NU prefers getting an actual object when they can.  Streaming has grown in academia (soon will outpace physical media and equipment andSnell Library don’t accommodate physical media well).  So streaming is desired, though in the classroom a DVD can be more reliable. 


Holly:  How is collection development accomplished?  


-For UMass Amherst it’s done by a number methods, streaming packages and individual purchases.  Packages are through continuing resources budget and one-times through reserves budget. 


-Dorothy:  Difficult to decide how to spend money, because the formats are always changing.  Their prejudice is toward ownership, but depends upon what faculty want, so they also stream content.  They digitize through Video Furnace (plug in DVD and run and turns into file that is kept on the server and linked to through course management system.  It expires after a while).  They expect this technology to go away, though, so understanding where this delivery is moving is what they hope to track.


How are things acquired? 


-At UMass Amherst, they will purchase anything under $150 desired for a class.  It may or may not go through subject librarians; definitely does if over $150.  They have discussed content via Amazon Prime or Netflix, but it makes for a barrier if the student doesn’t have a laptop.  Also, campus bandwidth may not keep up.   


-For Dorothy, before Tufts, responded to faculty requests a lot on things that are hard to find. This translated to needing someone in acquisitions who could track things down.   


-Regina:  IT staff may put some things together, but the library usually is through subscriptions and IP; their budget is very small (nothing done separately for media).


Is there a separate portal for access?


-UMass Med: It’s through Blackboard (non-Cloud) and ???  for instructional videos.   Debra is wondering about having a variety of locations that include iTunes and YouTube or should everything be consolidated in an IR or something local?  Regina doesn’t know how IT stores and preserves the files.  Likely no digital preservation and no way to ascertain what you want to preserve.  They also have HIPAA issues, being a medical school.  Even for Arts and Sciences there could be HIPAA, FERPA, or IRB considerations, in terms of determining access mechanisms.


What are the actual policies and workflow development at various schools?


Holly:  UConn is in transition, but has a sort of service level agreement for faculty, to help them know what to expect.  Recently, they have worked on a workflow, related to pricing, in terms of who the decisions go to. Triggers are cost, perpetual access, and whether the item is available to students in an easily accessible manner.  They are experiencing a $950K resource budget reduction.  This is driving more use of Netflix and other sources, because they have to find different solutions.  Some students have been queried on access to Netflix and most have access some way or other. 


Do schools go to academic departments if they can’t afford items themselves? 


-Debra: if it’s expensive and/or if for public performance (which is expensive) they may ask departments. Departments will kick in for special event for which they may have special funding.


-Matthew:  whether the library pays depends upon size and cost of a faculty request.  If it gets high, the subject librarian is brought in.  Kanopy has been helping with consideration of models beyond physical purchasing.  Faculty prefer streaming, done through course management system.  Workflow is posted for faculty that includes copyright considerations (TEACH Act).  The library processes to the point where voiceover and digitization are required, then the media technology staff take over until returned to Reserves.


-Scott: at BC, faculty go to their media site to search (only has videos, primarily DVDs). Results shows whether an item is digitized or not.  Faculty member create clips with their clipper service, an in house developed system.  It’s a subset of the Center for Teaching Excellence.  They handle licensing, while the library handles acquisition.  Not sure if this works for VHS, a lot of which has been converted to CD or DVD.  Not IP restricted, by authentication.  Scott demonstration the web site and steps to use video at BC.  BC doesn’t have a media center anymore; the collection moved into public services.  Faculty are also frequently going to YouTube and other places, as they often want a quick clip available there and aren’t worried about quality.


-Regina:  Have any universities considered a student fee to support this as more video is used.  UConn is resistant to any new fees. 


-Some use Swank as a product ($70/film for a year and others can see outside of classes, too).  Some buffering issues.


Debra:  presented spreadsheet from Hillary Corbett at NEU (Copyright Officer, who works within the library) of streaming policies at many institutions.  She is helping the library create policies.  DEBRA – can others fill in significant details here?


-Holly:  Fair Use details, at UConn the person who works with the faculty member on their streaming needs is responsible for advising some on the copyright.  At UConn there may be some over cautiousness with this.  Holly would like to know what the approach is elsewhere? 


-At BC, the Scholarly Communications Officer does local fair use interpretations, utilizing the ARL documentation and in consult with university counsel.  Mostly lets faculty determine since it’s their need.  For printed materials, there are more restrictions, based on percent of work.   In the catalog record  ????


-Dorothy and Le:  Tufts has a libguide on copyright.  At Ginn it goes through the liaison, so the copyright conversation starts there, but things can be referred or consulted to the scholarly communication team.


Debra:  Caption and format is very important to NEU.  How are others integrating into policy for streaming video for universal access, or is there in house service for this.  What is the policy for making universally accessible?   


-Matthew:  Brandeis and Tufts are involved in an IMLS grant to collect and make available accessible video for educational purposes. 


Scott:  At BC no one is doing typing, so it’s only getting captioned, if done via some other method.  Possibly the disability services office handles it, but not done in the library.  Some commercial systems have built in captioning.  Furnace does, e.g. 


-Holly:  per survey results, respondents said captioning is available, but schools are not captioning, so how is it done?


-Debra:  Is this something that the BLC could help with? Matthew and Pat don’t know too much about the status of the grant, other than it is to create some infrastructure for sharing these videos.  If it were part of collection development policy it would help in providing universal access. 


-A BLC-based statement would be useful, perhaps?  There was once a Board discussion on this topic, at the point John Unsworth took the lead (per Susan) that responsibility for disability services is varied from campus to campus.  Lots of room for improvement here, so BLC might have some ability to help set the stage.  Ontario College University Library Systems created a model for faculty use of media in a collection, which helped them facilitate accessibility.


-Abhishek: demand for captioning is growing.  They extract language and make available, but provide separately.  Some institutions insist on captioning for their students; others fund captioning for content.  They have a tool that allows captioning to be created by students or faculty, but it’s manual.  Libraries are mostly looking for automated capabilities.  They are trying to license a service that will be available to institutions for this. 


-Wowza is a commercial server that NU uses for media that has captioning capability.


-Matthew:  NYPL is working with Moth radio and working with pop-up and they doing public access for crowd sourcing.  Planning a hack-a-thon. 


-Dorothy:  Tufts is looking at Kaltura


Is there need for server space for video tutorials? 

-Pat:  Brandeis is using GoTS or webinars mostly, rather than video-based tutorials. 


-Margaret is using Brainshark at UMass Lowell.


What are the policies around replacing, retaining, long term value of VHS titles?


-Scott: still review VHS when other formats become available.  May have decided to reformat high use VHS to DVD so can be put on course reserve or shown in class.  If three or four checkouts per semester, it might be considered high use.  No VHS players in classrooms any longer, so kind of an outdated format.  Having one in the library isn’t sufficient for class uses.  The DVD or CD is given to the faculty member; it isn’t retained in the collection.  Only some instances involve replacing a format for the libraries collection.


-At UMass Amherst, similar to BC.  The VHS tapes are in the basement.  If unique content – not available elsewhere within OCLC – they may digitize for use.  If unique, they often get requests for ILL, but only loan a copy. 


-Some have 16mm films still and a few documentaries (most of these have come out on DVD).


-Debra:  if something requested for reserves and format is VHS, NU policy is to create a DVD.  This is governed by workflow and Sec. 108 copyright guidelines, and feel it’s justified by use for education.  Want them these older materials to be more discoverable. 


-Abhishek:  it’s possible to convert to two contemporary formats under copyright.  You can put converted format in catalog and share, just within your own institution, if it can’t be seen by external audiences. 


Lee:  Anything in the basement is at risk.  VHS format is not meant to last forever anyway.  Means it’s at risk and potentially legitimate for conversion.  More than 100 times of showing VHS wears it out. 


Leslie:  At UMass, trying to figure out where this fits in with other priorities.  They know preservation of these is an issue.


Debra:  The Video Round Table is looking into creating a database of all video content known to be not available anywhere else.  This should help save other schools time they spend in trying to hunt down rare items.  Scott:  a list like this might be valuable to publishers to know of.







Afternoon session:  NJVID


Abhishek Hedge gave a presentation on the NJVID service covering general operational details and specifics about contents and functions.  He also took questions from the audience.



  • ·         Basic premise is to upload your own content and organize in folders and collections, specify permissions, etc.
  • ·         Can easily share with users and groups
  • ·         Every item comes with its own embed code
  • ·         The system is searchable even to those who don’t participate
  • ·         All items are cataloged with locally created metadata and downloadable metadata
  • ·         Transcripts and captions are available for some content


At present the collection contains approx.. 7000 commercial  and 35,000 locally created clips.


The collection grows when insitutions either upload or license new content.  Once content has been licensed, NJVID will turn on access for that institution.  NJVID needs permission to digitize content on behalf of an institution. Vendors appreciate that their content is more finable at no cost to them.


The NJVID system is similar to Kanopy, except Kanopy is only commercial videos, so users are unable to upload their own in-house content.



  • ·         System detects differences in network speed and adjusts playback accordingly
  • ·         Files are encrypted to prevent downloading
  • ·         All videos come captioned and are resizable
  • ·         NJVID has a built in captioning tool for institutions to use on their own videos.
  • ·         Users can create clips and playlists


Administratively, there are different levels or hierarchy and NJVID can also integrate with identity management directory (shibboleth, LDAP, Active Directory)



NJVID also includes statistics reporting tools for identifying use and can keep track of licenses/licensing of content, expiration dates, etc.


Recent integration with Swank

  • ·         Institutions can now display content from Swank
  • ·         Swank is offering a trial --100 top films for free for 90 days to all NJVid members/clients


Three pricing models for non-New Jersey customers (Small $3500/yr; Medium tier is around $5,000, 500GB) enterprise pricing based on FTE pricing (1 TB of storage)


Bandwidth and usage is unlimited.





Comments (2)

Susan Stearns said

at 9:55 am on Dec 19, 2015

This is the wiki page for the BLC's AUL/AD Community of Interest. It can be used to add meeting agendas and minutes as well as other documents or links relevant to discussions of the AUL and any of its subgroups or working groups.

d.mandel@... said

at 2:28 pm on Jan 5, 2016

I have made a few edits on the December 18 AUL meeting document and added a file of streaming video policies.

You don't have permission to comment on this page.